What does love smell like?
A friend visiting our Sunday services had a bad three weeks. The electricity of the apartment block where he stays has been cut off for that whole period due to mismanagement. This, to put it lightly, is making it difficult for him to shower or cook. He has basically been living off bread.
~~~
I got it back in the early morning hours as he went home. It smelled horrible! For a while there, I was totally disgusted! Feeling pretty akward, I offered a complaint/apology-combo to a good friend of mine, who wisely commented something like this: “Interesting this smell of, wait…I think its love!” I wore that sweater for the rest the night and the day after with a complete new appreciation of servanthood. And gratitude for what God is teaching me.
What does it smell like to love and to be unselfish? What does it smell like to be a servant? For a moment there this morning, I almost forgot that!

1 Comments:
Ahh , the stench of love. It's interesting that Paul uses this same metaphor in 2 Corinthians 2,
14 But thanks be to God, who made us his captives and leads us along in Christ’s triumphal procession. Now wherever we go he uses us to tell others about the Lord and to spread the Good News like a sweet perfume. 15 Our lives are a fragrance presented by Christ to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those being saved and by those perishing. 16 To those who are perishing we are a fearful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved we are a life-giving perfume.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home